Friendship Gardens Farm Manager
- EXEMPT/NON-EXEMPT: Non-Exempt
- PART-TIME POSITION: 28 hours/week
- Weekend days required during the height of the season
- Flexible schedule; work from home option during off-season for planning and season preparation projects
- Must have reliable transportation and cell phone
- Previous farm or garden experience required
Friendship Gardens is a program of Friendship Trays. Established in 2009, Friendship Gardens is an expanding network of community, school, faith-based, institutional, public, private, and backyard gardens. Most of our garden partnerships share their harvest for the benefit of Friendship Trays who provide over 750 meals a day to members of our community who have limited access to healthy food.
To the community, we offer volunteer and leadership opportunities, community connections, and food access to those with limited options. Beyond the gardens, Friendship Gardens has developed a mobile market to provide fresh, locally-grown produce in food deserts.
At the heart of our mission is the our urban farm at Garinger High School—a learning center to grow food, train volunteers, educate our community and support the urban gardening community at large.
The Farm Manager at the Friendship Gardens’ Garinger Urban Farm is responsible for all day-to-day farm management tasks. This includes but is not limited to Greenhouse and Field operations and outputs as well as on-site volunteer and intern supervision and general farm network operations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Crop Cultivation & Planning
- Field Preparation & Irrigation
- Pest & Weed Management
- Oversee Weekly Harvests & Deliveries
- Seedling & Transplant cultivation for field crops & Garden Network partners
- Maintain & Monitor hydroponic system
- Maintain shared workspace for Friendship Gardens, 100 Gardens and Garinger High School Horticulture Program
- Basic aquaponics monitoring (in collaboration with 100 Gardens)
Volunteer & Intern Management
- Liaise with Director of Programs to coordinate volunteer groups
- Schedule individual volunteers
- Manage 2-3 summer interns
- Supervise on-site tasks
General Operations and Maintenance
- Liaise between Friendship Gardens & Friendship Trays, Garinger High School, 100 Gardens, Food Corps and other community partners
- Grounds keeping: mowing, weed whacking, etc.
- Tool maintenance
- General upkeep of property: trash pick-up, organization, etc.
The physical demands of farm work described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee is regularly required to perform the duties and obligations typical of a working farm.
- The employee is regularly required to use hands to operate vehicles and farm equipment.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move at least 25 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
—posted January 4, 2018